Saturday, December 26, 2009

Beauty

My winter break, thus far, has been filled with beauty.
The beauty is obscure and exists in unexpected places.
But then, that is life: filled with random surprises.
I did not expect to be so deeply moved by the following items...

But somehow I was.

1. Potential and desire for improvement
I greatly appreciate improvement more than I can possibly state. Improvement signifies surpassing a comfortable level of achievement and also properly developing something greater. By what else can we efficiently measure a human but by improvement? People start off in different places. How much they better themselves and their skills attest to who they are. Sometimes it is the amount of change rather than the results of change that one must commend. I have realized that potential and desire for improvement, particularly when combined, compose something beautiful. This fusion constitutes the driving force behind any and all improvement. It reveals profound quality of one's character.

2. Honor's Voice by Douglas Wilson
I started reading this book in high school but never finished. It is the autobiography of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln represents a crucial pillar of American history. His conviction, actions, and words during turbulent times are so admirable. Opinion of his actions matters less because his ability and motivation to lead shines more brightly.
Lincoln disapproved of people romanticizing his early life. When pressed to describe that chapter of his being, he said that the "short and simple annals of the poor" entirely describe his childhood. I never knew about this Lincolnism, and I found it so moving that someone from such a meager existence could become such a prominent figurehead for goodness. I mean, anyone who knows about Lincoln thinks of him as "the man who freed the slaves" or "Honest Abe." He made something of his life and greatly improved his circumstances.
Also, the author's careful attempts to credit sources and create an accurate portrayal are also beautiful to me. Because it is difficult to find truth in its purest form, especially when related to elusive history, Wilson's toil is even more beautiful. Because, seriously, how many concepts are more beautiful than striving for the impossible?

3. Taare Zameen Par
This is a Bollywood movie. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Bollywood movies, they are Hindi language films that are laden with melodrama and romance while woven together with songs and silliness. They make you wonder where your time went, since the movies often surpass three hours. (The shortest one that I've seen was two hours and ten minutes long.) I love Bollywood movies but admit that not everyone can appreciate them for what they are.
Yet Taare Zameen Par was completely different.
First of all, it was not a romance. The songs were primarily background music, and the story was actually pretty realistic. It was about a problem child and how he conquers his challenges. In fact, he illustrates perfectly what I believe about improvement: Writing took a great deal of work from him. When he succeeded, he had improved a LOT. So...yes. The amount of improvement meant a great deal.
This movie was so incredibly beautiful. The music was good and generally fit really well with the scenes, thus perfectly portraying their poignance. The colorful pictures and cartoons brought the child's mind to life. In fact, the movie did an amazing job of bringing the protagonist to life. Perhaps that is why I adored it so much: I felt so much compassion for this child and his circumstances, and it made me remember how each child has so much beauty and potential that must always be nurtured...


4. The Woman who Lives in the Earth by Swain Wolfe
This book is so profound and spiritual, even though the language is so simple. In fact, I think the simplicity of the language adds to the profound spirituality because it is unpretentious and sincere. The book really emphasizes putting oneself in a different perspective.
Specific exchanges that were really memorable but do not spoil the book lie below:

"Can you tell when evil gets inside you?"
"It is not evil that gets inside of you. Evil is when caring goes away."

"You have to be still to go anywhere at all."

Busy people, mainly those who live in a bubble and live high stress lifestyles, should reflect upon these quotes. Even better...read the book for yourself and enjoy it for what it is.

5. Jodhaa Akbar
This is another Bollywood movie.
I think that I really just played it at the right moment because the good quality stunned me. There was a really dramatic scene between the leads (Emperor Jalal, who was played by the stunningly attractive Hrithik Roshan and Empress Jodhaa, who was played by Miss Universe herself...Aishwarya Rai). The vibrant scenery and costumes took my breath away. The scene was especially noteworthy because the beautiful Hindi melody with the translation of "I belong to you," played. Actually, I should note that each song was beautiful. This movie has many beautiful moments...I can't describe them all because:
A- My commentary may ruin the movie's beauty for you, should you choose to watch it.
B-I haven't finished it yet. <-- For that, I thoroughly blame my computer.

^Part of a beautiful scene+song

4 comments:

  1. I need to read that book, The Woman who Lives in the Earth by Swain Wolfe. Mainly because I live in a bubble :D And you describe so nicely!

    I have yet to watch a Bollywood film. I don't have much patience for movies because my attention span is really nonexistent for movies. I fall asleep a lot during movies. I can only do tv shows :P

    I like your writing style. Very genuine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it just makes you think a little bit more about the world around you. But you must be open-mnded.

    Yeah, Bollywood movies are REALLY long. Maybe I'll find a shorter one that we can watch together. You like chick flicks, right?

    And thanks. I appreciate that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My taste in movies include extremely sappy, cheesy, fluffy, funny. It's not sophisticated at all. I just like to be amused. I like love stories but they can't be too tragic, and I don't like when people die in the movies. Basically a level slightly higher than what a 12-year-old girl enjoys.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bollywood movies fit into that category, for sure. But people die in Jodhaa Akbar...=P

    ReplyDelete